You wanted to know, so here you are. Answers to your burning questions about Content Regeneration, the Content Regeneration Playbook™, how we work together, and more…
Content Regeneration FAQ
1. Do you actually do any writing?
Yes. Using your existing content as a foundation, I regenerate it to match your current marketing strategy, add in relevant updated information, and match it to your existing marketing voice and style. I’m rewriting the content.
2. Doesn’t this mean I’m paying twice for the same content?
No, it means we’re extracting more value out of the content you already paid for. In essence we’re re-investing in the value by transforming it into a new format that some of your audience may not have seen the first time. You’re getting twice the value out of it for the initial investment. That’s not to say my time and expertise are free, but you’ll get even more value out of that initial investment by working with me.
3. How do I integrate the regenerated content into my marketing channels/funnels?
When we work together, we’ll talk about where you’re currently using the content and where you want it to go. We’ll analyze your current sales and marketing funnels to see where the regenerated content would fit best. Then it’s up to you to start using it there.
4. Will I have to spend a lot of time analyzing your work to make sure it matches our current style/voice?
No, you’ll be able to use the regenerated content right away because:
- I’ll have your existing content as a model.
- I’ll take a look at your current messaging in other channels to see if it matches or if anything’s changed.
- I’ll make sure that the regenerated content matches your current messaging style, voice, tone, etc. so you can re-integrate it right away.
This is something I’ve done my entire writing career, matching style/voice/tone so that it seems like the content was written by you. I’m used to it, so you can be assured that it’ll get done right the first time.
5. I don’t have a content funnel or editorial calendar or anything like that. How am I supposed to start using this regenerated content?
We can work on a new content funnel for your business that integrates with your current marketing calendar and other funnels in your organization. We’ll go over what’s needed and then I’ll work on a funnel document for you. You’ll be able to take that funnel document and use it today and in the future, even if your company’s messaging changes.
6. Is this just an ad hoc service you’re offering? Or do I have to come back to you at regular intervals to have my content regenerated?
No, you don’t have to come back to me frequently to have your content regenerated. That’s because we’ll work together in several phases that will regenerate your existing content and then set you up for all the future content you’ll create. You’ll be set up for the next few years and you’ll only have to come back to me if you need a short-term assist with anything. Otherwise it’s all you.
7. How long will it take to regenerate my content? I don’t have time to spend months or years on this process with you.
It depends on the size of the content to be regenerated and how many pieces we’re regenerating. For example, a single regeneration project that transforms a long piece into smaller pieces may take 3-5 business days, while handling multiple regeneration projects at once will take 10-15 business days at a minimum. For more details on how long it’ll take, check out this page.
Regardless of the scope of your project, we’ll discuss everything up front so you’ll know precisely how long it’ll take to do and when you’ll have your regenerated content back.
8. Do I have to purchase all 3 phases of the Content Regeneration Playbook™ to work with you?
No, you can purchase any of them individually or in combination as well. It works best if you purchase any 2 adjacent phases so that you’re getting the full benefit of how the work flows together, but it’s entirely up to you.
9. Why do you charge so much for your work?
You’re paying for my expertise. You’re benefitting from my 17+ year professional writing and marketing career, helping companies of all sizes and from a variety of industries transform their content and ideas into helpful and valuable content for their audiences. The Playbook isn’t something I created overnight or just slapped together on a retreat weekend. It’s something I’ve pulled together over that nearly 2 decades of working with clients. I’ve seen them struggle with content marketing before using the Playbook and the successes they’ve had once they started using it, so I understand the value it can bring to organizations.
10. My marketing content is already awesome and valuable to my audience. Do I still need to work with you?
Yes, if you want to multiply the investment you’ve made into your awesome content. Regenerating it into new formats for new audiences gets your valuable information out to new people, giving you more opportunities for brand awareness, thought leadership, and being plain old helpful. You want to get your awesome content out to as many people as possible, right? Well then, working with me, we can do that.
11. What’s the difference between regenerating and revising/revamping content? Isn’t it the same thing?
No, it’s not. The fundamental difference between regenerating and revamping is the purpose for which you’re using the content.
As HubSpot explains it, “When you revamp a piece of content, you’re continuing to use it for the same purpose it was originally intended, but updating it so it remains relevant and attractive to that audience.” For example, updating a report or blog post on social media to include new platforms and updated stats or images.
Regenerating content is transforming it from the original format and intent into a new format and using it for a different intent. For example, taking a series of blog posts on a particular topic that you used to generate website traffic and social media shares and turning it into a white paper that you’ll use as gated content to generate signups to a webinar.
12. Is this just a content marketing “thing” or can I use it for any kind of marketing?
Content marketing is just a fancy name for creating content that’s useful to your audience. Regardless of the kind of marketing your business does, you can always use more content, right? That’s probably one of the main reasons they buy from you, because you create amazing content that they like to read and share. If that’s the case, then you’re officially “doing” content marketing.
Regardless if you’re using the term or not, content regeneration works for any kind of marketing. It’s simply a process through which you transform content created for one channel or purpose and use it in another channel. We’ll take the one-pager you created for the last conference you attended and turn it into a series of social media messages that’ll drive traffic to your website. We can take the eBook you wrote to get sign ups to your email newsletter and turn it into guest blog posts that’ll demonstrate your thought leadership in your industry.
13. So, do you create any new content then? What if I want brand new content for my funnels?
Sorry, but I do not create brand new content for new clients; existing clients are grandfathered in to those services. Everyone else must choose content regeneration. I’m mainly interested in helping companies regenerate their existing content, so they can 2X and 3X their initial investment into their content.
That’s not to say my existing clients aren’t regenerating content, they are! Many of them already use me to regenerate their content while they work on new content themselves. That way they’re getting the best of both worlds, moving their audience through their funnels faster while still saving time, effort, and money.
14. I don’t have any marketing audience personas documented/formalized anywhere. Can we still regenerate my content?
You bet! We can work on creating a few basic personas for you that you can use as a foundation for the in-depth ones you should probably have for your marketing team. In fact, we can even “steal” your sales team’s personas and regenerate them to fit your marketing channels. We’ll look at your customer support and professional services teams as well, analyzing the type of people they help every day and regenerate that information into your very own, customized marketing personas. We’ll work on that in Phase 1 of the Content Regeneration Playbook™.
15. What’s the process like for a new client?
Every new client goes through a quick process:
- You answer a quick series of questions that helps me better understand your needs.
- From there, I’ll send you a response to clarify the Content Regeneration Playbook™ requirements, costs, and deadlines.
- Finally, I’ll send over a work agreement and invoice for the project, which we’ll both need to sign. Once a deposit has been paid, you’re scheduled into my calendar and we’ll get down to it.
16. What happens after I pay the deposit?
Depending on the Playbook phase you purchased, the exact workflow is different, but generally it goes like this:
- I’ll send over a questionnaire to gather the information I need.
- You fill out the questionnaire and send it back to me, along with any other documents, files, etc. I’ll need.
- I analyze the questionnaire and the rest of the content package you send me.
- I’ll develop/write/create the appropriate deliverable for you (e.g. the Phase 1 roadmap, the Phase 2 regenerated content, the Phase 3 integration roadmap, etc.)
- You’ll receive the final invoice for the remaining balance of the fee.
17. Will you send me status emails or updates?
Because I know you’re a busy marketer, I never want you to have to check up on me. My goal is to keep you informed of where I’m at on your project, so I’ll send you regular emails that update you on where we are in the timeline. You’ll know what I’ve completed, what I need from you to keep moving forward (if anything), and what I expect to accomplish in the next few days.
Pricing & Payment FAQ
1. Why don’t you charge hourly for your work?
My work is value-based, meaning you’re paying for the value and ROI of the finished Content Regeneration Playbook™ and/or phase work, not the time I spend producing it. My rates also include the following benefits I provide by not being on your full-time payroll:
- Marketing knowledge on what works and what doesn’t.
- Tech industry knowledge so you won’t have to explain all your tech jargon to me.
- Royalty-free image sourcing you can use with your regenerated content.
- Save on your HR and training budget, as well as the on-boarding time and training, since I don’t need that.
2. Why do your prices start where they do?
As I stated earlier, the clients who decide to work with me do so because they believe in paying for a high-quality, high-performing work, not just a finished product. They understand that the Content Regeneration Playbook™ is a high-value content marketing piece that gives them more value, saves them time, money, and resources, and is worth investing in. They also know they’re paying for my expertise, experience, and skill level as a professional writer and content marketer.
If your focus is on keeping costs low, rather than on amazing, helpful content marketing help and results, you’re in the wrong place.
3. How do you accept payment?
Most of my clients pay via credit card, though Canadian clients are welcome to pay through a bank transfer (either an Interac email transfer or by clicking the appropriate link in my invoice). Non-Canadian clients can pay via credit card only.
4. Do I have to pay tax on your fees?
Only my Canadian clients are charged taxes on all invoices (13% HST to be precise). Everyone else gets to skip them. (yay!)
5. What currency do you charge in?
My Canadian clients are charged in C$, while everyone else pays in US$. I do that for accounting and tax reasons that I won’t bore you with. Long story short, it saves me time and energy to do so. Plus, since the majority of my clients are in the USA, it keeps their books nice and clean too.
6. I’m based in the USA, do I need to send you a W9?
Nope. As a non-USA based contractor, you’ll need a W-8BEN signed and dated from me for the IRS instead. They are good for 3 years from the signed date. For more information on the W-8BEN, refer to the IRS website.
7. Can a pay a “rush fee” to get bumped up in your calendar?
In the grandest of Canadian cliches, sorry, but no. Orders for Content Regeneration Playbooks™ and any individual Phase work are put into my calendar in the order in which their deposits arrive, so if you’re looking to jump the line by paying a rush fee or something like that, you’re out of luck. That said, if you book a Playbook but don’t pay a deposit, your spot on my calendar is not held, so make sure to get it in ASAP.